Saturday, April 10, 2010

Goodbye, Diane

Today is the day my basket guild group says goodbye to one of our members. The last couple months she has been dealing with inoperable cancer. Thursday morning as I was getting ready for work and thinking about Diane I remembered what someone in my breast cancer support group did when Liz died. They had made pink ribbon pins for each member of the group to wear at the funeral. Trying to translate this idea to Diane I came up with making heart pins (her business name was From the Heart). I used one of the many hearts included in CTMH's stamp set So Luck (C1390 $13.95) which was new in our spring idea book. I stamped onto a piece of packaging chipboard that came from CTMH with my summer Idea Books! It was white on one side so worked well. The color ink I used was Cranberry which is a nice dark red unless you put liquid glass on it - then it turns an orangish red. I put clear embossing powder mixed with prisma glitter - still turned orangish red. A new lesson learned. The surface of the pins had a rough feel from the glitter, so I added a layer of liquid glass.
I had to take this photo of a single pin without a flash because of the glitter, so its not the best. Before embossing I stamped her name on each pin using a retired CTMH set - Doodle alphabet with cocoa ink. The letters look like they are floating in the embossing powder or liquid glass layer instead of stamped on the surface. I made 26 of these pins. About 18 guild members responded they would be attending the funeral and would be honored to wear the pin. There may be a few who didn't respond or read my e-mail, so thought I'd better have a few more. Diane will be remembered for her good deeds long after today. Also, most of us are not wearing black to funeral - bright colors are the order of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment